Temporary Classroom Assignments
During the construction, Church School and youth programs will continue as usual. Look for signage directing children and youth to their construction-phase classrooms.
- Pre-K & Kindergarten: Lower Floor
- 1st & 2nd Grade: Lower Floor
- 3rd & 4th Grade: Lower Floor
- 5th & 6th Grade: Lower Floor
- 7th Grade Confirmation: Upper Floor
- 8th Grade Confirmation: Upper Floor
The mission of our Church School is to engage children and youth in discovering a life of fruitful Christian service and to encourage their interest and involvement in the life of the parish.
Church School for Preschool through 6th Grade meets from mid-September through mid-May immediately following the 9:00 am Sunday service and concludes at approximately 11:00 am. This schedule coincides with the Adult Forum so that parents can participate in Christian Education programs simultaneously.
The Alfred St. John Matthews Lent Series 2018
Adult Forum Lent Series:
10:15–11:00 am in Shears Hall
- February 18: Lent 1 - Creation
- February 25: Lent 2 - Refugees
- March 4: Lent 3 - Justice
- March 11: Lent 4 - Opioid Addiction
- March 18: Lent 5 - Poverty
Wednesday Evening for Adults:
6:00–6:30 pm Supper; 6:30–7:30 pm Program in Shears Hall
After a simple meal, in a program led by various experts, adults will further explore and unpack in a more practical and concrete fashion the issue of our day that was discussed in the preceding Sunday’s forum.
- February 21: Creation
- February 28: Refugees
- March 7: Justice
- March 14: Opioid Addiction
- March 21: Poverty
Wednesday Evening for Children:
6:00–6:30 pm Supper; 6:30–7:30 pm Program in Children’s Chapel
All children and youth are welcome.
After a simple meal, in a program led by Whitney Wolf, children will learn about issues of our time through creative hands-on activities.
- February 21: Lenten Promises Collage
- February 28: Refugee Doll Project
- March 7: Stations of the Cross
- March 14: Lenten Trivia
- March 21 NYC: Midnight Run Bag Prep
All children and youth are welcome.
Save the Date!
Saturday, March 10
All are invited to participate in the Christian Formation Summit for Children & Youth Ministries. The goal of this Summit is to evaluate and evolve our curriculum, including themes, topics, lessons, and milestones for children from preschool through confirmation in order to ensure we are offering an experience that will deepen their connection with God and prepare them for a life centered in Christ, through education, service, and community.
With a bit of pre-work and lot of finesse, we've managed to craft an ideation and development experience that will maximize our results while minimizing your time commitment. If you're interested in participating, please contact Whitney Wolf.
Monthly Mom's Mornings
Moms of St. John's: Whether you have just 10 minutes or a full hour, we invite you to join in this spiritual gathering of support, conversation, and friendship, starting around 9:00 am one Wednesday each month. Let this group be your haven from the daily chaos of motherhood. Come for as little or as long as you’d like. Little ones are welcome. Toys and good coffee will be provided. If you have any questions, or wish to attend, please contact Whitney Wolf. Find a listing of upcoming Mom's Mornings HERE.
Ways to Get Involved with Children and Youth this Year:
- Children’s Chapel – Seeking Adult and Youth Assistants to help with crowd control, support, and engagement (Drop-ins welcome!)
- Church School (PK–6th Grade) Classes – Seeking Adult Teachers and Substitutes as well as Hallway Greeters to help children get to their classrooms
- Confirmation (7th & 8th Grade) – Seeking Additional Instructors and Substitutes
- Colin Powell Leadership Club – Seeking both Reading Tutors and Enrichment Program Speakers (Come one time or many!)
- Vacation Bible School – Summer will be here before we know it! Join us in the planning stages to help build a wonderful program for 2018!
If you have just a little bit of time—or a lot of time—and are interested in helping out in any way, please contact Whitney Wolf.